Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Almost Killed A Mexican

I was riding down 7th ave. during rush hour, 5:45, which I usually do on Tuesdays. I hate riding down 7th at this time because it's always packed with pedestrians from 35th down to 32nd.

Cars I can deal with, I know where they are, I can hear them, and most of the time they know where I am. Pedestrians are a totally different animal, an animal that I don't want to be around. Pedestrians during rush hour are an even scarier animal, or just annoying. Kinda like an untrained dog that you have to constantly tell to sit, sit, sit, sit, SIT, SIT, SIT!, NO, NO, NO, Dammit, he peed.

Anywho, I was riding down 7th, with traffic, and I had the green light. I wasn't moving too fast, but I was moving. I saw the pedestrians slowly inch into the road, waiting for the light to turn red, and the walk man to light up. I saw them, they didn't see me, and as soon as the last car went through the crosswalk, everyone decided to start walking, across the street, in my path. Usually when this happens, I can stop, turn around, anything to avoid a collision, but I was too close, and honestly thought they wouldn't walk with me moving right at them, bad assumption.

"ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED" - CRASH

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I definately hit a guy, rolled off my bike onto the middle of 7th ave. and noticed that I had also managed to throw another guy on the ground, who let out a loud "AHHHHHHH" and grabbed his leg. I got up and apologized to the guy and shook his hand, because I genuinely felt bad. I know he walked into me, but still, I try to be a nice guy.

He barely spoke any English, and only seemed interested in limping away, I felt even worse. I amlost killed a Mexican.

I got up, tried to to scowl at the stream of people walking behind me, and rode off.

I prefer hitting cars.

No comments: